Substrate Raster Generation (batch process)
The substrate raster produced within the CHaMP Topo Toolbar is used in habitat modeling. The Substrate Raster Generation (Batch) tool makes it easier to create substrate rasters for multiple CHaMP visits to be used for this purpose.
In order for Substrate Raster Generation (Batch) to run successfully the user must have a recent version of the CHaMP Workbench database and the data to be processed needs to be organized in a particular fashion. The requirements are:
- Obtain a recent version of the CHaMP Workbench
- Organize the visits to be processed in the same folder structure the CHaMP Workbench requires:
- for more information about this folder structure visit this webpage.
- Make sure the Survey Geodatabases to be processed have been unzipped if they were obtained via a ftp transfer.
- a batch unzipping tool is available in the CHaMP Workbench, see here for information about this tool.
CHaMP Toolbar/Advanced/Substrate Raster Generation (Batch).
- Set the
CHaMP workbench DBby browsing to a copy of the CHaMP Workbench database.
- Set the
Monitoring data folderby browsing to the parent folder containing the data to be processed.
- for example:
- Select the desired grain size percentile. The CHaMP standard is
- Set the
Raster nameby entering a text into the associated text box, all roughness rasters produced from this tool will have this name. The CHaMP standard for this name is
- Set the
Top level output folder pathby browsing to a folder the output will be created in.
- the tool will recreate the
Year/Watershed/Site/Visit/Topostructure within the selected folder and save each roughness raster to its relevant folder.
- Set whether or not to overwrite existing substrate rasters by checking or unchecking
Overwrite existing substrate rasters.
- Set which field seasons to process by navigating to the
Field Seasonstab, select only the years to be processed.
- Set which watersheds to process by navigating to the
Watershedstab, select only the watersheds to be processed.
- This tab will be empty until the
CHaMP workbench DBparameter has been set.
- Set whether or not to filter for annual sites by checking or unchecking
Filter for annual sites.
- Set whether or not to filter for primary visits by checking or unchecking
Filter for primary visits.
- Click OK and then wait. This form does not have a progress box or wait cursor. Simply wait for it to finish processing. Generating each substrate raster could take more than a minute. Generating a whole watershed could take two hours. Be patient even though there is no indication of progress. A message box will appear when it has finished processing that reports how many substrate rasters were produced.
- Upon completion, the tool will report how many visits the substrate raster was successfully created for and provides details about how many visits did not successfully process and why.